Latest Posts

One Week Blender 3D Experiment

Learning Curves: My adventure into the world of Blender 3D, and the scene I created in the space of a (self-constrained) week.

After watching various YouTube tutorials (mostly by Andrew Price aka Blender Guru) on the excellent open source software that is Blender, I decided it was time to have a go at a scene of my own. Following some advice from another YouTube video (also by Andrew Price, see links below) I gave myself a single week to complete the task. The duration itself is arbitrary, the point is that I gave myself a solid deadline.  And now I’d like to proudly present the result:

Lab scene in Blender

Lab scene in Blender. Click for full size.

Now, I am fully aware that there are a number of areas that can be improved, or are just plain wrong. But the point of this exercise was to create and complete (and by complete I mean ‘stop working on it, tweak no more’) a rendered 3D scene.  I’m fairly pleased with it, given that it’s a first effort, but I only spent about 30 minutes in the compositor, and that control desk needs a texture, and I’m not happy with the colour balance of the final render, etc, etc.

The above scene was created in Blender 2.79 RC2, although the final release is out now. Also check out 2.80, the Eevee viewport looks very cool!

Check out:

https://www.blender.org/

https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewPPrice

https://www.blenderguru.com/

https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/7-habits-highly-effective-artists-bcon-2016

Crystal Report PDF Export Font Size Problem

Gonna make a note of this now as I’ve just spent 2 days looking for a quick resolution to the much-mentioned ‘Crystal Report PDF Export Font Size’ issue.

The Problem

Exporting a Crystal Report to a PDF causes a reduction in font size. Simple as that really. The problem does not manifest when printing ‘to’ a PDF via software such as Foxit (can’t recommend Foxit enough by the way, so much better than the Adobe bloatwhale). However this wasn’t an option as I wanted to export programatically, and needed to set the file name.

The ‘Crystal Report PDF Export’ Fix

If you’ve spent any amount of time researching this issue on the Internet then you have no doubt seen several different registry keys to edit, add or modify. After trying various different entries the one that worked for me is as follows:

Crystal Report PDF Export

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\Export\Pdf

 

Just add a DWORD value named ForceLargerFonts to the above registry key, with a value of 1. Why we still need to do this in 2015 when it appears the issue has been round for years is beyond me. SAP/Business Objects – sort it out.

My Environment

This is on my 64-bit Windows 8.1 workstation machine running Visual Studio 2013 & Crystal Runtime 13.0.12. I’ve noticed that as of time of writing (16-04-2015) that there’s a new service pack. I’ve not tested this new SP but I’m gonna hazard a guess that it hasn’t been fixed.

And thanks to…

The following sites were helpful in resolving this issue, but I don’t think any of them had the solution that worked for me. That said, my Google Fu may have been weakened by my frustration so may have missed it.

http://www.morovia.com/kb/Font-size-decreases-exporting-PDF-Crystal-Reports-10053.html

 https://www.arcanadev.com/support/kb/K00000394.aspx

 

1 2 3 4 5 6 25